Zenthusiast.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for any Z enthusiast! Young or old. This is a place for those who have questions and need help or Z enthusiasts that just wanna hang out and share stories of their Z's

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

cams on the z

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
clickdoc

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-07-11

cams on the z Empty
PostSubject: cams on the z   cams on the z EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:31 am

ok tech guys

here is one for you

I have had two NA 90 Z's

mod list the same - upkeep same - but one difference - Stillen cams

my OEM version cam seemed to have more low end grunt - 2500-3500 - which i like because i drive mostly like a grandpa with occasional tire spins for fun

the stillen cam version seems to kick in hard at about 3500-4000 & up but it is not a place i am normally driving at in the streets

does this seem accurate ?

are these cams really only meant for FI applications ??

thanks
Back to top Go down
nismo300zr2
Mod
nismo300zr2

Number of posts : 1096
Car Year/Make/Model : 91 300zx/85 toy GTS/05 CTD/01 zook SV
Registration date : 2008-07-02

cams on the z Empty
PostSubject: Re: cams on the z   cams on the z EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 4:10 am

VTACCKKKK!!!!!
Laughing

seems right to me. its a performance Cam meant to give you more when you are driving harder (to redline) so on a drag strip or roadrace course etc.. it'd be alot more beneficial.

like a hardcore cam that lopes and barely idles right? thats not where it was made to perform, it needs higher RPM's to be useful.
Back to top Go down
cherryz

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2008-07-02

cams on the z Empty
PostSubject: Re: cams on the z   cams on the z EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 am

wait.... You get tire spin an an OEM NA? How??? OK, I'm guessing manual tranny.

Auto = NO tire spin except on wet pavement.
Back to top Go down
http://slvander.home.mindspring.com/Z32/
Tony@GZ
Mod
Tony@GZ

Number of posts : 186
Car Year/Make/Model : 1995 Nissan 300ZX TT
Registration date : 2008-07-24

cams on the z Empty
PostSubject: Re: cams on the z   cams on the z EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 4:20 am

How do you know the one Z has Stillen cams in it? Did you buy them and have them installed or did someone tell you this when you purchased the Z? Either way do you know what cams they are? Knowing Stillen they are more than likely the exact same thing as JTW cam’s and JWT offers a Sport cam, a 400 cam, a 400+ cam, and a 500 cam. Only the sport cam can be used with the stock valve springs and components all other cams require a valve spring upgrade because of the lift duration and clearance of the cam. I would not call the sport cams worthless however I can recommend better supporting mods for the money on an NA. The only benefit that sport cams will provide is a small addition of power in power in the middle of the power band when the variable valve timing is being utilized. In my personal opinion based off of my experience with the Z32 the best modifications for maximizing non turbo power in order are

1 Pop charger and under drive pulley.
2 ECU upgrade
3 Cat back exhaust
4 Clutch and flywheel
And if that’s not enough power
5 A 75 shot of Nitrous oxide

Stillen headers and upgraded cam shafts are so ineffective the cost really falls short of the investment on the NA sorry to say. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.gz-performance.com
Sponsored content

cams on the z Empty
PostSubject: Re: cams on the z   cams on the z Empty

Back to top Go down

cams on the z
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zenthusiast.net :: Z car Modifications & Technical Topics :: Fourth Gen 300ZX (Z32)-
Jump to: