Zenthusiast.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for any Z enthusiast! Young or old. This is a place for those who have questions and need help or Z enthusiasts that just wanna hang out and share stories of their Z's

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JDMZ32

JDMZ32

Number of posts : 71
Car Year/Make/Model : 1991/Nissan/300ZX - Slicktop/NA/5spd
Registration date : 2008-11-10

What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009" Empty
PostSubject: What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009"   What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009" EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 1:05 am

Last night my laptop was infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009", a program that will download itself because you either clicked on a pop-up or visited an insecure web page. Apparently I visited some sort of insecure web page because I didn't click a pop-up (I have no idea what it is).

This program disguises itself as a Microsoft program, warning you excessively (every few seconds) that your computer has been infected with viruses and corruption and it gives you a website to go to in order to "fix" the problem. There it will ask you for your credit card information so you can purchase the security software. Obviously, you don't want to do that. If you were dumb enough to do so, first cancel your credit card immediately. The windows that pop up as warnings in the bottom right hand corner (most common), as balloons in the bottom right hand corner, and several different sorts of pop-ups in mid screen all look extremely close to what a Microsoft program would look like, so don't be fooled. I was almost fooled at first, but I'm stingy with money and didn't want to purchase anything so I looked elsewhere Smile. Also, note that I said "extremely close" rather than "exactly like". There is something fishy about them. And to give an example of how often they pop up, I left my computer on overnight and close approximately 135 windows from MSAS2009. I left it on and came back from class this morning and closed 120. It really is excessive.

In order to delete the program, you can follow my steps (provided by the following contact) and if they don't work, call Microsoft PC Safety at 1-866-727-2338. You can call this official and free Microsoft number for any Virus or Security related issues you have with Windows.

When you call Microsoft PC Safety, it will tell you a website to go to so you can run Microsoft's free trial scan. I did this (the full system scan) and it seemed to fix other problems on my computer, but not MSAS2009.

So, here is what you do (according to Microsoft PC Safety and other reliable sources).

Step 1: Go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/*.

Step 2: On the left hand side of the web page, you'll see a large blue button that says "Download free trial version". Click it.

Step 3: It will take you to a web page that will say "Thank you for downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Your download will begin in a moment." It should, but my internet security blocked it (that's a good thing, because it didn't know what it was and it was trying to download). On my computer, a tan-colored bar pops down from the top of the browser window. Click the bar and click "Download file". If it already started downloading, obviously you won't have to worry about all that**.

Step 4: When the window pops up, it will give you the options of "Run" "Save" or "Cancel". Click "Run".

Step 5: On my computer, I got another security pop up saying "Run" or "Don't run" (the standard thing on Vista). Click "Run". Same with "Continue" or "Cancel".

Step 6: Select "English", assuming you read English.

Step 7: Continue clicking "Next" on the install window (accept the "agreement").

Step 8: Save wherever you want the software to be saved on your computer. I recommend just leaving the default because it doesn't really matter.

Step 9: Click "Install".

Step 10: After the installation process, a window will pop up (it will be the program). Click "Run quick scan" (a full scan is unnecessary).

Step 11: Let it scan. Once it finishes in just a few minutes, it will tell you however many problems it found. Continue on to the checklist. Leave everything selected and click "Remove".

Step 12: This should have fixed your problem and you should no longer have MS AntiSpyware 2009. Enjoy your virus-free computer and internet Smile.

*If you do not have an internet connection: First try restarting your computer. If that doesn't work, you have a totally different connection issue and you'll have to wait until it's fixed or you fix it.

**Read the following if something is preventing you from downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: If you cannot download the program (I couldn't), it is likely because MSAS2009 is blocking you from doing so. If this is the case, COMPLETELY shut down your computer. After it is FULLY shut down, turn it back on with the power button and IMMEDIATELY start pressing the F8 key RAPIDLY. Your screen should turn black and you should be in something called Safe Mode. Select the second option of "Run safe mode in networking" or something like that. Your computer should continue to load. When your regular desktop loads up, it will be very different. Your Vista or XP will look very old (pre-Windows 2000ish) and your background will be BLACK and your icons will be huge. It should say "Safe mode" somewhere on the screen. This is normal. You'll notice that MSAS2009 will not be doing anything. This is because Safe Mode has disabled it and all other programs like it. With it disabled, you should be able to continue on following my steps and be able to down Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

If you have further problems or cannot follow my steps, call the number I provided you. Keep it mind it's free and the people are nice and patient. They will tell you nearly exactly what I told you.

I typed this to post on this blog and other blogs to help out my friends if this ever happens to them, or so it can pop up in search results when people are trying to figure out how to rid their computer of the malware program.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blnk182soninmyc5
nismo300zr2
Mod
nismo300zr2

Number of posts : 1096
Car Year/Make/Model : 91 300zx/85 toy GTS/05 CTD/01 zook SV
Registration date : 2008-07-02

What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009" Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009"   What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009" EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 11:34 am

i had that mofo -.- had to reinstall my whole operating system. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
JDMZ32

JDMZ32

Number of posts : 71
Car Year/Make/Model : 1991/Nissan/300ZX - Slicktop/NA/5spd
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009"   What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009" EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 3:28 pm

ouch. you must use Mac or something haha Razz. guess i got lucky!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blnk182soninmyc5
nismo300zr2
Mod
nismo300zr2

Number of posts : 1096
Car Year/Make/Model : 91 300zx/85 toy GTS/05 CTD/01 zook SV
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009"   What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009" EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 1:40 am

PC. but there were alot of other issues as well. doing a complete wipe was the best option.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009"   What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009" Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do if your computer if infected with malware program "MS AntiSpyware 2009"
Page 1 of 1