Zenthusiast.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for any Z enthusiast! Young or old. This is a place for those who have questions and need help or Z enthusiasts that just wanna hang out and share stories of their Z's

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
clickdoc

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-07-11

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System Empty
PostSubject: The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System   The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:39 am

OK
as you guys know from one of my previous threads -- i have been having brake judder on my Z equipped with Brembo big brake package -- seem to start after i got new 18" wheels & parked it for the winter -- then my beater sat for a while and is now doing the same thing -- i went on line and found this article:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

It is a MUST read -- mechanics have bought into this myth and are making a whole lot of $$ -- or they are just ignorant

Randy said he doubted it was warped rotors and he is most likely right ! And how in the heck am I going to overheat my brakes when I drive like a grandpa !

one really good quote from the article if you are too busy too read it :
With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc. I have seen lots of cracked discs, (FIGURE 1) discs that had turned into shallow cones at operating temperature because they were mounted rigidly to their attachment bells or top hats, (FIGURE 2) a few where the friction surface had collapsed in the area between straight radial interior vanes, (FIGURE 3) and an untold number of discs with pad material unevenly deposited on the friction surfaces - sometimes visible and more often not. (FIGURE 4)

Read the article & chime in
Back to top Go down
cherryz

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System   The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 10:23 am

I love the smell of hot pads. My family thinks I'm crazy, but I actually enjoy properly bedding new pads.

I learned something here though....

Quote :
MYTH # 6 - The brake fluid reservoir should be topped up during routine service.

In most modern passenger cars, the brake fluid reservoir is designed with a specific volume and is equipped with an internal float. The volume corresponds to the amount of fluid that will be displaced when the pads have worn to the point of replacement plus a generous reserve. When the replacement point is reached, the descending float completes an electrical circuit and a light appears on the dash warning the driver that the pads should be replaced.

If the brake fluid is topped up the first warning of warn out pads will be the screech of steel backing plate against iron disc. This will be both annoying and expensive.
Back to top Go down
http://slvander.home.mindspring.com/Z32/
Barry (NJ)
Mod
Barry (NJ)

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System   The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 pm

When tracking, it's not unusual to change fluids and pads, using pads that have been used for prior track days, and then swapping in the old street pads when the event is done. So it's hard to use that method as a ware indicator. But there are squeal fingers on the pads that give an audible warning before the pads are gone.
Back to top Go down
Roman187bh

Roman187bh

Number of posts : 38
Car Year/Make/Model : 1990-96 NISSAN 300ZX
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System   The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Um ok!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System   The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System Empty

Back to top Go down

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System
Page 1 of 1