Zenthusiast.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for any Z enthusiast! Young or old. This is a place for those who have questions and need help or Z enthusiasts that just wanna hang out and share stories of their Z's

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to: Paint your wheels

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zinister

Zinister

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-07-04

How to: Paint your wheels Empty
PostSubject: How to: Paint your wheels   How to: Paint your wheels EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 3:55 pm

I know I did this a while back, but I figured there are new people on here that might like to see it.

What you will need.
--Your wheels (duh). Wink
--Sand paper. Rough, medium, and fine. Your choice on actual grit count.
--Wheel paint
--Tape
--template

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross109

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross111

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross112

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross110

I'm painting a set of factory BMW BBS mesh type wheels. Keep in mind I am using two different colors. If you are spraying with only one color, you may not need the tape or template. Be sure to tape off the valve stems if you don't intend on replacing them.

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross105

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross106

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross107

Step 1.
Sand existing paint off of the wheel the best you can. If the wheel isn't really bad, you could just get a way with a fine grit to rough it up enough to get the paint to stick.
Spray the lip of the wheel with silver (or any color you choose) wheel paint. Make sure you use a high quality paint with good resistance to weather and chemicals.
Let dry and apply another coat. Let this coat dry also. Apply as many coats as desired (I used three). I used a cut-out template to protect the spokes from overspray.

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross113

Step 2:
After removing the template, tape off the lip (after it has dried) of the wheel this time. I used painters tape that can be purchased at any hardware store. I don't have a picture of me taping of the wheel, sorry haha. After taping off the lip, its time to spray the center.

Step 3:
I used a high temp gold that I only found at NAPA autoparts. At this point, the center should be sanded and ready for paint. Apply paint in even strokes, making sure you cover entire center of wheel. Let this first coat dry and then apply another. I used three coats in this process as well.

Step 4: Remove tape from lip of wheel. Both painted sections of the wheel should be exposed, with no more tape left on the wheel.

Step 5:
Time to apply the clear coat. Spray evenly across the wheel with the clear coat. Let this coat dry and then repeat. Again, I did three coats.

After wheel is dry, it should be finished. Here is the finished product! Very Happy

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross114

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross115

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross116

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross117

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross125

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross119

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross120

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross118

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross121

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross124

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross123

How to: Paint your wheels Drift-cross122